Friday, April 2, 2010

Behind the Apron: Rachel

Who has been the biggest influence on your cooking? My mom, my grandma and cooking shows. I learned how to cook from my mom, have gotten many yummy recipes from my grandma, and cannot stay away from The Food Network.

What is your favorite dish to cook…your signature dish? My signature dish would probably be crunchy chicken. I learned how to make it from a friend’s recipe while we spent a semester in Oxford, England. It is such a simple dish with lots of texture and flavor that everyone loves.

What was your biggest cooking disaster? Probably the time my mini burgers turned out like hockey pucks. I totally blew it and to top it off, I was serving these at a party. Terrible.

If you could travel to another country just to taste their cuisine, where would you go? Definitely Spain. Mostly because I haven’t been there and also because I love sangria, tapas, seafood, paella, etc.

What is something you have never cooked, but would like to try? A cheese or chocolate souflee. Just because it would be a challenge…and, they’re good.

What do you consider the 5 most essential ingredients you keep in your kitchen? Butter, Olive Oil, Salt, Garlic, Tony Chachere’s Seasoning

What is comfort food to you? Lots of things…homemade mac and cheese, chicken and dumplings, chili, mashed potatoes

What are the ideal toppings for pizza? Basil, Fresh Mozzarella, Italian Sausage, Mushrooms

What kitchen utensil/gadget can you not live without? Probably either my Cutco knives or my OXO tongs. It’s a tie between the two because I use them both all the time.

No comments: